Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2010 in retrospect, and updates

While I never considered myself the type to blog, I'm going to commit myself to putting out more entries. Why? you ask? Why would I sit in front of a computer when I could be exploring a new culture, trying new foods, and horribly botching local language? The answer: I do it for you.

HERE IS WHAT I ACCOMPLISHED IN 2010 (feel free to laud my accomplishments and acknowledge my prowess):

1.Became conversational in French (enough to confuse party-goers in Juan le Pins with my West African Accent)
2.Was displaced from my original Peace Corps site
3.Biked from Yako to Bobo Dioulassou 300K+ in 5 days
4.Started a soap making group with a local women's group
5.Started a girls computer club
6.Convinced children outside of my site mate's house that yelling "Bonjour!" is more likely to get them candy than "Nassara bon bon!"
7. Saw my family for a wonderful 2 weeks in Southern France. (not really an accomplishment, but worth noting)
8. Stayed relatively disease free.

HOPES FOR 2011:

1. Become a language powerhouse capable of writing scholarly articles in French and Mooré
2. Continue working and integrating in Yako
3. Bike to Ouahigouya, and then to Ouaga
4. Continue and expand my current activities to more schools
5. Convince children that "Bonjour, Monsieur Johnson" is the preferred way to greet me.
6. Meet a beautiful, multi-lingual, Italian doctor who is thoroughly impressed with my rugged African lifestyle.
7. See my family again
8. Stay relatively disease free.

I'd give you more of an update on my activities but I'm running out of minutes at the cyber-cafe. Happy New Year to all!

4 comments:

  1. Evan, You did wonderful work in 2010, and I hope you will reach all your goals in 2011. ON WITH THE ADVENTURE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Evan!
    It's Mitsuma.
    How's it going?
    How's your life in Yako?
    I left Dori 19 dec and
    je suis arrivé au japon 6 jan.
    I have not missed dori yet.
    Because foods here are trop bon
    to think about BF.
    I got a mal au ventre so that I ate too mach.
    Anyway, I hope you have a nice year.
    Bonne chance!

    ReplyDelete