Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Desert Just Got Funkier

My desert home is now also home to The J.Bs, George Clinton, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, and many many others thanks to some nifty Ipod speakers. I think that I am currently in the running for "most comfortable digs" among PCVs thanks to this addition. Though there are some (not naming names) with wi-fi, running water, and ceiling fans.

I returned from Ouaga last night. I was lucky enough to be accompanied by three other volunteers who are currently on their way further north to visit the dunes and do some camping. They asked me to go along but after being away I was glad to be home. Travel here takes a lot out of you, even if you are going with a major bus line. It is a little over four hours in between Ouaga and Dori and then another hour by bush taxi to get to Gorom-Gorom. Upon boarding a bus I find myself trying to figure out where the sun is going to be so I can choose which side to sit on. Then there is the debate of window (cool wind) or aisle (room for legs). Of course all of this consideration only offers marginal comfort, and doesn't matter if the bus fills up. In which case you are going to be crammed wherever there is room, hopefully not next to a baby.

Before Ouaga I spend a night in Bani. Bani is 55k south of Dori and known for it's mosques. While walking toward the mosques we came across several "guides" sitting in front of a tourists bureau. Guide is a four letter word for volunteers generally. We ignored their calls and walked around some hills until we found a trail leading up to the mosques. The view was really cool, but it was sad to see many of these beautiful buildings in disrepair. The minaret of the Grande Mosqueé fell down during the past rainy season, so the building is a lot less impressive now.

Ouaga was a great time as usual. I ate a lot of cheeseburgers, and hung out with some volunteers that are leaving in a few weeks. I stayed in one night while I was there and watched Casablanca and ate some care-package chocolate chip cookies (thanks Mom!).

It is certainly nice to be back though, and I am really looking forward to getting into all of the new books I've acquired. Also, a special thanks to Karen and Claudio for their care package; I'll be making some falafel and tzatziki with the dill you sent me tonight!

2 comments:

  1. Happy 23rd Birthday! The Ipod speakers arrived at a good time....Christmas gifts are on their way.....XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check your e-mail!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

    ReplyDelete