Saturday, October 3, 2009

Prophylaxis may result in hypnogogic vertigo.

It is required that all volunteers take anti-malarial medication. There are two types. One; Doxycycline is taken daily and can great slight stomach discomfort. The one I take, Mephaquin, is taken weekly, and has been known to induce lucid dreams bordering on waking hallucinations. But hey, at least I won't be getting Malaria any time soon.

Needless to say I've experienced these side effects somewhat, though they haven't been unpleasant or infringed on a good nights sleep.

I'm usually not one to talk or write about my dreams. I usually groan or roll my eyes when someone starts a story with 'So I had this dream last night...'. Its as if they are saying 'here is a complete fabrication of my unconscious, which may or may not expose embarassing foibles in my personality'. But enough with the disclaimers. So I had this dream last night; I was in Burger King ready to indulge in a Whopper, when the portly woman at the counter demanded that I pay. I reached into my pocket, and produced a wad of CFA (burkinabe currency). She looked at me like I was crazy for trying to pay with west african currency in this quinessentially American establishment. Needless to say I awoke frustrated and craving a big juicy burger.

Which leads me to my next thought. My goal for the next couple of months is to put on some weight. I've received emails from worried parties in the U.S., pointing out that I am looking very very skinny lately. I would like to acknowledge the fact that I worked at a "Greek" restaurant before I came here, and spent most of my time running around eating Gyros slathered in Tzatziki, with Saganaki, and Spinach Pie on the side. Where do these items fall on the food pyramid? For any health-conscious individual they should be floating around the top. But for me, for 9 months at least, they formed the solid, immovable base. Now that I eat rice all the time, and my daily activities are walking, sweating, biking, and sweating; its only natural that I've dropped a few pounds.

I'll post the recipies that I come up with here on the blog, so that you can join me on this culinary odessy. To start!! A favorite of mine taken from the "Where There Is No Microwave" volunteer cookbook. Foccacia Bread! YUM!

1 1/4 cup water
2 1/2 cups white flour
2tsp dry yeast
1tsp sugar (for proofing yeast)
1tsp salt
Olive oil for glaze, and greasing rising surface.

PROOF your yeast! MIX the yeast and sugar with 1/4 cup of warm (not hot) water. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes, when small bubbles begin to appear on the surface. Just a few bubbles is okay.

Put your flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and create a basin of sorts to pour the water into. Use your hands to mix it all together (its messy). Sift in flour as needed until the dough is a workable ball, and is no longer sticky. Flip this dough ball onto an oiled surface, and cover with a damp towel, put it in a warm place (in front of a window) and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

Now the fun part. Sift flour onto a surface and coat your hands as well. flip the dough onto this floured surface and beat it sensless. The dough owes you money, and I heard it say your sister is easy. Fold the dough into itself several times and punch it with your closed fist four about 10 minutes. Cover again and let rise for 30-45 minutes. Score decoratively and then brush with Olive Oil (or sprinkle with seasonings, I like Zahtar). Put it in the oven at 375° for 40 minutes. (WARNING, this bake time is for using an improvised dutch oven, those with Viking convection ovens adjust time accordingly). Use spray bottle with cold water and spray the loaf every 5 minutes for the first 15 minutes of baking for a crispy crust. Remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for you to make it for all of us!
    XOXOOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan, How are you honey? I mis-read your letter and I have been telling everyone that you are in love with a girl and maybe will move in with her when you come home!!! Aunt Therese told me that I was all wrong. So sorry for spreading a false rumor. I apologize for not contacting you sooner, just been caught up with my own troubles.
    I love you and will be sending you a package soon. Love Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wayyyy familiar with Doxycycline-- I got Lyme Disease in August (from a tick in the center of Minneapolis...?) and was taking that for 10 days. Just thought I'd share.

    TAKE YOUR MEPHAQUIN, STAY CLEAR OF MALARIA!

    ReplyDelete