Monday, September 7, 2009

A Cultural Exchange

Well the time is just flying by and its wild to think that I've already been here for a week. I've been settling in slowly but surely. I finally got gas hooked up and am able to cook without waiting for coals to heat up (ahh, the comforts of modern living).

The director of the school that I live near is still MIA. He really doesn't have much reason to stay in Dori, as the school year hasn't started yet. I'd really like to talk to him though, as he controls my electricity. I've been getting by just fine without it though. I just finished reading Cat's Cradle, and Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut, and am slowly working through The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (which I would reccommend to even the devoutly religious).

I'm just about finished with a large mural on my wall, and will try to post some pictures eventually somehow.

Last night I met up with some Japanese volunteers who are currently working here in Dori. They are with a program that is similar to Peace Corps in many respects. We went to a restaurant for chicken, fries, and beer. One of them is planning an exposition for a bunch of NGOs in Dori, and invited me to attend. Basically I'll be running a booth with information about Peace Corps. It was really nice to get out and chat for a while, even if the language barrier was sometimes a bit difficult to overcome. We spoke French, I fielded questions about the U.S., and asked a few about Japan. A good time was had by all, and we concluded that everyone will come chez-moi by the end of the week for some hommus, tabouli, and whatever else I can pull off (homemade arabic bread perhaps).

During dinner I lamented the fact that it is difficult to prepare certain foods without refridgeration. It's wise to buy meat from the market earlier in the day, if you want to get good quality, fresh meat. However, nobody wants to chow down on a hot steak at 9 a.m. when its 80 some degrees out. One of the Japanese volunteers informed me that not only do they have a fridge, but also RUNNING WATER!!!!!!!! Not to mention an generous living allowance, and even an air-conditioned palace for volunteers in Ouaga. I told him that I would be having a talk with PC Washington asap.

Apparently the application process for PC is far more competative than for the Japanese organization, so it is necessary to provide certain amenities to volunteers. There simply aren't as many applicants; and the number would drop even lower if people didn't have the nicities of modern living.

Don't get me wrong I am more than comfortable in my home right now, I live rather simply but there is something to be said for that. You don't really appreciate running water until you've had to lug two 10 gallon tanks from your pump back to your house every morning. And that cold bucket bath is so much sweeter after you've worked up a sweat.

4 comments:

  1. Dad Says....
    Tips from Tasso...Wash the meat before you cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, this is anna (mike evans' friend). i wrote to you a couple months ago- i'm in the beginning stages of becoming a master's international peace corps volunteer- have started grad school and will enter the PC part of the master's program in jan 2011...

    anyway, i was wondering if you met a japanese volunteer named kyohei takeuchi? he's volunteering in burkina faso right now and it'd be wild if he was one of the guys you met! (i met him while studying abroad in tokyo).

    thanks for these updates and such- you write well and the stuff you talk about is exactly what i want to read- gives me a lot to think about! anyway thanks again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on taking the plunge!! The application process is an arduous one. I think it is set up like this on purpose to identify those who persevere.

    Leave your options open as far as placement goes. If you have your heart set on a particular region, the application process becomes even longer. I said Id go anywhere and it still took me a little over a year. Some volunteers took even longer than that.

    Ive not met your Japanese volunteer, though Ive hung out with the three Japanese volunteers in Dori; chances are they know him. Im glad that youve been enjoying reading my blog; more updates are on their way!

    Peace and Love from Afrique Ouest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi evan.

    i spoke with my japanese friend kyohei, who is currently working in ougadougu for a JICA program called "SMASE."

    here's the JICA website http://www.jica.go.jp/english/

    anyway, he has recently been in the hospital with a very bad malaria case and is now recovering. he said he went to dori yesterday, to monitor teaching on behalf of JICA.

    i mentioned you and he's going to see if anyone he knows knows you :-) ('cause u mentioned meeting some japanese volunteers).

    -anna

    ReplyDelete