Saturday, July 25, 2009

In Dori

I am currently in Dori on my site visit. Im spending four nights here; meeting and greeting people. In the words of our Country Director it is important to ¨genuflect at all the tabernacles¨. I believe he was quoting someone else.

So I met the director of the school; as well as some Japanese volunteers working on environmental projects. We did a bit of a tour of the city and my counterpart (man who is showing me around) even bought me some cold yogurt. It is pretty much the closest thing to ice cream readily available here and its damn good on a hot Sahelien afternoon.

Im very excited about my house. Im living large by peace corps, an burkinabe standards. Ive got a living room, kitchen, AND bedroom. Also another random detached room that is supposed to be for cooking that I dont really use. Around back there is another structure with a toilet (hole) and shower (bucket and hole). Everything has concrete floors (a luxury here); and i even have (drum roll) ELECTRICITY. I nearly shoved my index finger in the socket I was so excited but my counterpart advised against this. I also have a gang of boys ages 7-11 that I can give pieces of gum to in exchange for them hauling water. Only they can get overly excited and bring me roughly 100 gallons of water expecting 50 pieces of gum in return. My neighbors are very friendly and have been keeping an eye out for me during my stay. The house is extremely well furnished with a gas stove, tables, and plenty of seating. I expect guests on their way north to Mali and the Sahara. As soon as I am able Ill post pictures though the heat has been messing with my camera.

Ive been reading alot. I just finished Dont Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller, 2001 A Space Odessy by Arthur C. Clarke, Foundation by Issac Asimov, and The Demon Haunted World; science as a candle in the dark by Carl Sagan, Im about to start Far From the Maddening Crowd by I Forget, and To Sail Beyond the Sunset by Robert Heinlein.

It is hard to believe that in a short 4 weeks I will be in Ouaga dressed in Burkinabe attire swearing in as a full fledged volunteer. Go me. Questions or comments I would love to answer them.

1 comment:

  1. Just sent you 3 packages to the Ouaga address. Should we still use that or the one you just posted for Dori?

    ReplyDelete